Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Just got back from recording an interview with Mark Lawson of Radio 4's Front Row about How to Disappear Completely & Never Be Found, which opens in Sheffield this weekend. I was on with Lucy Caldwell whose play Leaves opened at the Court last night.

It was an odd experience (nothing to do with Lucy, who seemed very nice.) Mark Lawson was nice too, but he seemed rather preoccupied with the mechanics of changing your identity, which of course is one of the things my play deals with. I answered his questions but didn't feel that I'd done much justice to the underlying philosophy of the play, which the identity business is merely a tool to expose. Nor did I get much of a chance to rave about the truly fantastic production Sheffield are giving me. Maybe I should have been more assertive in directing the course of the conversation. Or maybe it's best not to over-explain the work, or gush. Or maybe Mr Lawson is planning to do some sort of runner and has a need to know these things. You heard it here first.

But perhaps most bizarrely of all, they got me to read out a speech from the play! So no taking the piss out of my shitty acting, they put me on the spot ok? It seemed like a good idea at the time...

Anyway, you can judge for yourselves tonight (yes, short notice I know, that surprised me too) at 7.15pm. If you miss it, or you live outside the UK, apparently you can listen again on the BBC's website. I'm not going to put in a link until I've heard it and feel satisified I don't sound like an arse.

4 comments:

RAL said...

I missed it! Post a link!

Brace said...

I thought you did great. I'm sure in these situations there are lots of things you want to mention, but forcing the conversations would be easily detectable.

And you still managed a great namecheck of JG and the course.

And you read the bit well, I thought. A lot harder for the other girl on it because she seemed less disposed towards 'acting' and her speech was a bit of an articulated existential crisis which may - in the context of her play - really fit, but on the radio sounded like she was writing about how hard it is as a young, sensitive girl in the desert of today, and therefore almost sick-inducing. I'm sure she's not and the play's great, etc - this is just how it sounded.

Point being: well done.

Fin said...

Well, having heard it now I don't think I can look forward to a parallel acting career! And for what it's worth I thought the passage Lucy read suited her voice a lot better than my speech, which was for a man in his 50s. But all publicity and all that...

I thought it was odd the way they trailed and then framed the conversation as 'Two young playwrights discussing the difficulties of making it' when they didnt tell us in the studio that this was the focus - and it wasn't, it only came up in passing. I thought they ended up promising an insight on something which they then didn't deliver. And God knows I've got plenty to say on that subject if only they'd made it clear that's what they wanted. (So actually, maybe it was better they didn't ... my big mouth gets me into enough trouble on this blog let alone on national radio). Anyway, it was an experience.

It surely isn't beyond any of you to track down a link if you're that interested.

John D said...

yeah, well done fin. i thought you were lucid and engaging.