Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Reversal by Fin Kennedy*


We have lost our nation forever
And I refuse to believe that
Democratic consensus can be achieved
I realize this may be a shock but
“We are all in this together”
Was a lie, and
“Britain is broken - split down the middle”
So in 20 years I will tell my children
Their futures ended here
Racist politicians and our right-wing press will know that
We got our priorities straight because
Fear
Is more important than
Community
This we know to be true
Once upon a time
Britain welcomed the world
But this will not be true in my era
This is a selfish society
Experts tell me
10 years from now, I will be living on a diminished little island
I do not concede that
I will live in a country at ease with the world and with itself
In the future
Aggressive nationalism will be the norm
No longer can it be said that
My fellow citizens and I welcome outsiders and care about the world beyond our borders
In time, it will be evident that
Hatred has won the day
It is foolish to presume that
There is hope.
All of this will come true unless we choose to reverse it.

*With thanks and a debt of gratitude to Lost Generation by Jonathan Reed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

👌 This poem is so important, we truly need to choose to reverse this. Thank you for putting this into the world